Ever since the USB devices has been invented, using and connecting devices with each other have been changed. You can literally use the USB ports to connect a mouse, keyboard, USB flash drive, printers, mobile phones, and many more to your PC. Every operating system out there supports USB and NVIDIA control panel missing as it has become very common for hardware to come with a USB connection facility. Although these devices come with a plug-and-play feature without any setup requirement, sometimes they might not work. This problem occurs mostly on Windows devices when users might get a “USB device not recognized” error when they try connecting a USB device to their system.
Here in this post, we are going to talk more about the USB device not recognized error on Windows 10 and will also tell you how to fix it. Not only Windows 10 but USB device not recognized Windows 11 problem has been growing too. It can happen to any version of Windows, so don’t worry if you are getting it. It doesn’t matter what type of device you are trying to connect, and facing this error you can try our fixes. There are various reasons why this problem actually occurs on a Windows device so you might need to apply multiple fixes to get rid of USB device not recognized malfunctioned Windows 10.
USB Device Not Recognized Error Causes
As we said above, there are various reasons why USB device not recognized error comes in a Windows device. You might need to figure out the problem like how to find Windows 11 version before applying fixes to it. Since you can change and modify Windows settings and hardware yourself, knowing the cause might help you in allowing to fix the problem yourself. The cause differs from system to system, so below we have listed some of the most common causes of this problem:
- Faulty USB device.
- USB drivers not installed or missing.
- The latest Windows Update has not been installed.
- The drive or device is not properly connected.
- Low power is available for the system to use.
- Problems with certain Windows settings.
How To Fix USB Device Not Recognized Error In Windows 10/11
Method #1. Restart Your Computer
If your USB is not recognized by the computer, then the first thing you can do is restart your system. This will shut down all running services that might be interrupting the USB connection. Not only the USB device but you can also try this method if you are facing issues with other hardware-connected devices.
You can simply restart your device and try connecting the USB device again. We will recommend you remove all other connected hardware devices, even if they do not belong to the USB connection. Simply insert the USB device you are facing the issues with and check if is working. If not, then you can try other methods mentioned below.
- Also Read About: How To Download APK From Google Play Store
Method #2. Re-insert The USB Device
As we said above, restarting the Windows system might help you in getting rid of the USB device not recognized error, if not then you can re-insert the USB device again. Sometimes the devices might not get inserted properly, hence you might see a “power surge” notification while plugging in the device and this might cause the error.
If you have multiple ports on your device, then try connecting the device via other ports to see if the issue is with a particular USB port. Then you can get it checked by a specialist to see if your USB port has some hardware issues. Remember that if you are using a USB hub or other types of devices then remove them and insert the USB device directly into the Windows device.
Method #3. Change USB Selective Suspend Settings
If you are facing this issue on a laptop, then there are some chances that the device is turning off the USB device automatically. A feature called USB Selective Suspend actually helps the device keep its power secure by suspending the USB device automatically that it doesn’t recognize. You can disable this setting from the Power Options to check if it is the culprit. Here’s how you can do that:
- First of all, open the Start menu and type “Power Options”.
- Click on Additional Power Settings from the right-side.
- Now, click on Change Plan Settings -> Change Advanced Power Settings.
- A pop-up will appear on your screen, simply, expand the USB Settings option.
- Now, expand the USB Selective Suspend option and select DISABLE on both On Battery and Plugged In options.
- Click on Apply and then on OK to save the options.
Method #4. Turn Off Fast Startup
Fast Startup can help your system in booting faster by suspending some services and apps while starting. This setting can also cause this problem by shutting down some USB services. Well, you can try disabling this setting from the Control Panel and then check if your USB device is getting recognized or not. Here’s how you can disable Fast Startup in Windows 10.
- Click on the Start button and search for “Control Panel”.
- Now, navigate to Hardware and Sound -> Power Options.
- Click on Choose What the Power Button Do option from the left side.
- Next, uncheck the Turn ON Fast Startup (Recommended) option.
- Click on Apply and then on OK to save changes.
- Restart your system and try plugging in your USB device again.
Method #5. Change USB Root Hub Settings
USB Root Hub is basically a Windows program like Windows 10 taskbar won’t hide that helps Windows to work with multiple USB devices at once. If your system has got multiple USB ports, then there are high chances that this program might be causing the issue. You can try changing its settings from the Device Manager to see if helps you in fixing the problem. Here’s how you can use the USB Root Hub settings to fix USB device not recognized error in Windows 10.
- First of all, right-click on the Start button and select Device Manager from the list.
- A new Device Manager window will open on your screen.
- Expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers and right-click on the USB Root Hub.
- Select Properties from the list and wait for a new pop-up window to open.
- Navigate to the Power Management tab and uncheck the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power option.
- Click on OK to save changes and restart your system.
Method #6. Install Windows Update
If you don’t install Windows updates then you might be missing some bugs fixes and important Windows features. Though it can consume some internet data, you must keep your Windows up-to-date if you don’t have to face issues like USB device not recognized. You can visit the Settings app on your Windows computer to install the latest available Windows update. Here’s how you can do that:
- Open the Start menu and click on the Settings button.
- Click on the Update & Security option.
- On the right pane, click on Windows Update.
- Now, click on Check For Updates and if there are any pending updates available, then install them.
- Restart your system after installing the update and try plugging in the USB device again.
Method #7. Re-install USB Drivers
Every hardware device can work properly only if the required drivers are installed in the system. If not, then you might need to install them to make the device work. Sometimes, because of an update, your devices might not work properly. You can either use third-party tools to update your device drivers or do that manually using the Device Manager tool. Here’s how you can update USB drivers on Windows using Device Manager.
- Right-click on the Start button and select Device Manager from the list.
- Now, expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers option.
- Right-click on the Generic USB Hub option and select the Update Driver option.
- A new pop-up will appear on your screen, simply click on Search Automatically For Drivers and wait for Windows to install the required driver.
So, this is all about USB device not recognized Windows 10 fix and we hope you are able to fix this issue. There are various methods available out there to solve USB device not recognized problem but we have mentioned only the working methods on this page. You must follow them before trying something else with your system.
We will keep adding more USB device not recognized fix to this page, so keep visiting Inframatics to know about them. If you were able to fix this issue yourself when the error USB device not recognized keeps popping up, then do let us know about them too. You can also ask us for help to fix this and other issues via the comments below.